Columbia is the second largest city of South Carolina. The name Columbia originated from Christopher Columbus. Both the Saluda River and the Broad River merge here and forms Congaree River. Columbia has very hot summers and mild winters. Snowfall also occurs but is very less.
Things to do-
- Riverbanks Zoo- This place has beautiful gardens and both wild and farm animals.
- Congaree National Park- It is a large Forest with trails
- Sesquicentennial State Park- It is one of the best recreational area in Columbia and has a beautiful Lake
- South Carolina State House- This is the government building of South Carolina
- South Carolina State Museum- It has some of the rare antiques and art places
- Riverbanks Botanical Garden- It is a themed Garden with water park in it. You can have some fun time here with your family.
- Finlay Park
- Columbia Canal and Riverfront Park- It is one of the historical sites and has trails.
- Columbia Museum of Art- A huge collection of art works can be seen here.
- Dreher Island State Park
- Saluda shoals Park- If you are an adventure lover then this is the place for you. You can do hiking, fishing and kayaking here
- Frankie’s Fun Park
- Robert Mills House- It is a house of 19th century with beautiful interior and antique work
- West Columbia Riverwalk Park and Amphitheater
What to eat?
- Empanadas- These are stuffed pastries filled with meat or chicken and cheese.
- Almuerzo corriente- This is the Power lunch in Columbia. Soup followed by rice with fish or meat and lentil with salad.
- Chocolate Con queso- Cheese dipped in hot chocolate
- Bandeja Paisa- It is made of rice, plantain, arepa, minced meat, chorizo, fried pork rind and fried egg on top.
- Sancocho- It is the traditional Columbian Stew